Make this fun and easy DIY painted sign in under 2 hours! To start you will need the following:
1 Rectangular Pallet Sign
Red, White, and Blue, Grey, and Gold Paint
Mod Podge or White Glue
1 Wooden Star
Glue or Hot Glue Gun
1. Start by painting your entire pallet sign white.
2. After this, paint every other slat red.
3. While waiting for paint on pallet to dry, paint star gold and set aside.
4. When the red and white paint is dry, sand down the white and red paint to give the sign a distressed finish. Concentrate on the high spots on the wood to emphasize the grain.
4. Dry brush grey paint around the edges and corners to give an aged look. (For a quick tutorial on how to do this technique click here.)
6. Apply Stencil, using star to measure needed spacing between the H and ME.
7. Paint a thin layer of Mod Podge or white glue over the openings of the letters, making sure to fill any small gaps between the stencil and the wood with Mod Podge/Glue.
8. When Mod Podge/Glue has dried paint one to two coats of blue inside the letters.
9. As soon as you have painted the final coat of blue, remove the stencil, do not wait for the paint to dry. Be careful not to accidentally transfer wet paint onto your finished surfaces as you remove the stencil.
10. Wait for the paint to dry and then apply your star with hot glue or regular craft glue.
Once your glue is set, add a hanger to the back of the sign, mount it, and enjoy!
Try some variations of this sign by mixing up the color scheme, or changing out the star for another decorative element. You could even make it interchangeable for the seasons by making holiday themed shapes and attaching them with velcro to make them pop on and off easily.
We want to see your take on this fun project. Post pictures of your version of this craft in the comments section!